Does “Affordable Housing” Exist For SSDI Recipients?

Affordable housing that implements construction features for someone with a disability (wheelchair ramp, etc.) seems like a myth to many, but, in reality it is actually quite achievable. The average SSDI recipient’s income is below the average rental price in the United states so it can be a challenge to find quality housing, built for disabled people, that is also affordable unless they have an additional source of income.

This doesn’t mean that it’s impossible.

The National Housing Trust Fund can be a life-saver for extremely low-income homeless families that are not in the “elderly” category. The National Housing Trust Fund is permanent with 10 percent going to rental housing. This means that 10 percent of the funds are for assistance to first-time buyers that are low-income, non-elderly, and disabled. The other 90% is used for maintenance of the homes. All in all, this is a blessing to many who’s SSDI benefit payments fall below the average price of rent every month ($800-$900) in the United States.

Public housing (also known as HUD) is another option for disabled people will very low incomes and who are not elderly. HUD does not offer a complete supplement for rental expenses. Residents must still pay a portion of the rent. This amount fluctuates based on certain variables but is usually less than half the cost of a full month’s rent. HUD is difficult to get into and people tend to be on the waiting list for years.

If you are a disabled person in need of affordable housing, looking into the National Housing Trust Fund and HUD. If you are in the process of claiming SSDI or have been denied SSDI contact a social security disability lawyer to expedite the process or to help with an appeal.

About the Author

Mark J. Palmiere

Mark J. Palmiere focuses his law practice on Social Security Disability law. He is a graduate of Syracuse University College of law and has been admitted to practice in New York State and the United States District Court for the Western District of New York since 1993.

Leave a Reply